Open:Close: Menu En Español
Toll Free
In New York
call or email for a free consultation
email us
for fast

Slip-and-Fall FAQ

New York Slip-and-Fall Accident Lawyers Here to Help You Find Answers

For answers to questions not listed below, contact Trolman, Glaser & Lichtman to schedule a free consultation with an experienced New York personal injury attorney. Call 212-750-1200 or contact us via email. We Fight. You Win. Se habla español.

Frequently Asked Questions About Slip and Falls

How do I know if I have a case after a slip and fall accident?

Depending upon where and how your slip and fall took place, different aspects of the law apply, however, in all cases it must be established that the property owner, agent or manager failed to keep the area where you fell in a reasonably safe condition, and injury occurred. The law requires that the property owner, agent or manager knew of the dangerous or unsafe condition, or should have known of the condition that would have been disclosed with a reasonable inspection.

How much is my case worth?

It depends on the nature of your injuries and the lasting effect on your life. Arriving at fair compensation to settle a slip and fall case depends on a close examination and understanding of your injuries and how they have affected your life now and will in the future. In addition, your out-of-pocket expenses, medical bills and lost earnings are also factors considered in arriving at fair and adequate compensation.

What are non-economic damages in a slip and fall case?

Non-economic damages refer to the pain and suffering you have endured and are likely to endure in the future. It includes emotional trauma and the ability to enjoy your daily life. The consequence of injury is different for each person and, at Trolman, Glaser & Lichtman, P.C., there is no "one size fits all." Every client is an individual and adapts to the limitations of pain and suffering differently.

My slip and fall occurred on a sidewalk. Can I sue the city?

In most situations, the responsible party is the adjoining property owner. However, there are circumstances in which the city is liable and a notice of claim must be filed with strict time requirements.

How soon after my fall should I contact a lawyer?

Contact an experienced injury lawyer as soon as possible in order to learn about your options. There are various deadlines that apply, so the sooner we are able to evaluate your situation, the easier it will be to assess the legal steps necessary to protect your interests.

My mother slipped and fell in her nursing home. Does she have a case?

Nursing homes are required by the terms of their licenses to provide adequate supervision to prevent falls. When they do not, they may be held liable.

I tripped and fell while visiting my neighbor's apartment. Can I file a lawsuit against him?

Falling on a neighbor's property or for that matter, a friend's property, may give rise to a lawsuit if there is a defective or dangerous condition on the property. The law for maintaining a reasonably safe condition on property applies to commercial property as well as residential properties. If a neighbor or friend failed to maintain the property or premises in a reasonably safe condition and you were injured, the right to pursue compensation exists. We will communicate with the insurance company so that your friend, relative or neighbor will not feel as though you are launching a personal attack.

Contact trolman, glaser & lichtman, PC

747 Third Avenue, 23rd Floor | New York, NY 10017|Phone: 212-750-1200|Toll-Free: 1-888-484-5529|Fax: 212-980-4011|Email