Open:Close: Menu En Español
Toll Free
In New York
call or email for a free consultation
email us
for fast

Injury on City Property

Municipal Liability Lawyers

People injured in slip-and-falls on public property in New York face more complex legal challenges than those whose accident occurred on private property. The law, the legal process and the timeliness of filing a notice of claim are all different. If you believe the City of New York was involved in the slip-and-fall that caused your injury, it is critical to consult an attorney with experience with premises liability, the area of the law that governs slip-and-falls.

At Trolman, Glaser & Lichtman, P.C., our Manhattan law firm has been helping injured clients since 1970. Our lawyers are known as thoughtful advocates who take the time to listen and learn - a client is more than a file number at our firm. We have obtained significant verdicts and settlements on behalf of our injured clients, including awards for injuries sustained on municipal and state property: Trolman, Glaser & Lichtman, P.C., good lawyers and good friends.

If you were injured on public property or a sidewalk in New York City, call our lawyers. We handle these cases on a contingency fee basis, so you owe no attorney's fee until obtain a verdict or settlement on your behalf. Call us at 212-750-1200 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation.

Act Quickly to Meet Time Limits

The biggest difference between lawsuits involving public entities such as the state of New York, cities or counties and those involving private property owners is the amount of time you have to file a claim. In New York City, a notice of claim must be filed within 90 days of the incident that caused your injury. The state and counties outside of New York City also have specific time limits. Failing to comply with these specific time limits may prejudice your right to legal action and compensation.

Examples of Cases Against Municipalities

Our lawyers handle a wide variety of claims against the city and state, including those involving:

  • Public transit slip-and-falls or trip-and-falls: If you fell on a train or subway platform, slipped on the station stairs, or were injured while riding an MTA bus, call Trolman, Glaser & Lichtman, P.C.
  • Street and sidewalk slip-and-falls: Broken concrete sidewalks in front of city buildings, unshoveled snow and obstructions on sidewalks and stairways may give rise to a claim against the city or local governments. The law regarding sidewalk liability in New York City changed in 2003, so it is important to consult a knowledgeable municipal liability lawyer to learn about your rights after a sidewalk slip-and-fall.
  • Public park and swimming pool accidents: Public swimming pools and playgrounds must be safely maintained. When they are not and injuries result because of a slip-and-fall, the city or other public entity may be held liable.
  • Schools, public hospitals and other municipal buildings: Like a private owner of commercial or retail premises, the city must maintain its buildings safely. When slip-and-falls occur because of negligent maintenance, you may be entitled to compensation.

Contact a New York City Municipal Liability Lawyer

If you or a loved one sustained an injury on city property, contact our New York City attorneys online or by telephone at 212-750-1200. Schedule your free consultation to learn how we can help you obtain compensation and damages after being injured on city or state property. We Fight. You Win. Se habla español.

Contact trolman, glaser & lichtman, PC

747 Third Avenue, 23rd Floor | New York, NY 10017|Phone: 212-750-1200|Toll-Free: 1-888-484-5529|Fax: 212-980-4011|Email